A Qatar Guide for Tourists and Residents
 
Home   Qatar   Doha   Contact   Qatar Jobs   Qatar Map   Request

Friday, June 29, 2007

Qatar Street Racing

As you lie safe and sound in bed at night in Qatar, you may be suddenly woken by the roar of cars and bikes racing illegally outside your window. The same nutters that pose on the Corniche of a Friday afternoon are implementing their population control strategy of latent birth control by racing up and down Doha’s streets.

Actually, I really don’t mind if these people want to kill themselves - although I have a traffic-policeman friend who feels differently. I have learned to stop asking him how his weekends were. He always replies morosely that he has been picking up bodies again.

No, these people know the risk and the danger. One Egyptian mother complained to me that her son said he only felt alive when he was in danger. Obviously, if you are stupid and insensitive enough to say something like that to your mother you need something extreme to penetrate your thick skull.

What worries me is the obvious danger to other innocent drivers and passengers that these people cause. It’s not as if they are not aware of it – you can hardly miss the Government’s road safety campaign.

All this passed my mind when a friend emailed me today. She had read today’s Gulf Times article on Orkut, which mentioned one group called Qatar Street Racing. So I went on to Orkut (you can log in if you have a Google account), ploughed though the lengthy profile section filling in as little as possible about my sexual orientation as I could and came to Qatar Street Racing:

Qatar Street Racing
description: There is no matter u have a car or bike !!!! The thing is u have passion of adventure !!!


street racing in QATAR !!!

When the hell is full

Modified cars walk on earth


Oh well, at least they'll be keeping my policeman friend in work for a long time...


Qatar Visitor e-store (U.S.)

Qatar Visitor E-store (U.K.)

Find the best deal, compare prices and read what other travellers have to say about Qatar


Tags