A Qatar Guide for Tourists and Residents
 
Home   Qatar   Doha   Contact   Qatar Jobs   Qatar Map   Request

Sunday, February 22, 2009

200Kbps a perfect line, says Qtel

After struggling to make changes to the Qatar Visitor website for over an hour, I dialled Qtel and waited the obligatory hour until they could be bothered to answer the phone.

My mission was to upgrade my internect connection. Unfortunately, as I have a Mozaic connection, I am stuck with the standard Qtel line.

(Apart from the internet connection, Mozaic is quite a good deal, actually - check out our review here.)

After listening to me moaning about the problems of building websites on Qtel's standard connecton, the chap on the other end of the line got me to take a speed test.

"So how fast is it?" he asked.

"200kbps."

"That's a perfect line, man - what are you complaining about?"

Meanwhile, this is what the rest of the world says...

While a basic consumer in India is still struggling to get over 2Mbps, Japanese residents will soon be able to upload and download at a speed of up to 1Gbps.

(From Tech Ticker)

That's right, while the richest country in the world provides internet speed at 200KBPs, India's internet users can get ten times that. Meanwhile Japan's internet users are looking at a top speed of 500 times what Qtel is providing.

Now that's a perfect line.


AddThis Social Bookmark Button